Skip to main content

The UnProfession of Teaching


I’ve avoided writing this for a while because I did not want to offend any of my colleagues that are still in the North Carolina education trenches. So all of my NC teacher-friends, please know that I am on your side. But after spending a year teaching outside of North Carolina’s public schools, I think I finally have enough perspective to try and discuss my frustration and troubled relationship with my home state’s public education system.

North Carolina public school teachers are not treated like professionals. If I had to explain the biggest difference between my old job and my new job, I could explain it succinctly with that sentence. In North Carolina, I was not treated like a professional. I was not treated like someone who had a degree and a career status license in my subject matter. Teachers are treated more like whining indentured servants (the younger teachers more literally since they are paying back their student loans) and are then told to be thankful that they even have a job in such a bad economy.

North Carolina does not pay their teachers a professional salary. In fact, North Carolina teachers are the fourth lowest paid teachers nationally. Money was the most tangible reason that I quit my job.  I’ve heard my entire life that you should never leave a job because of money, but I don’t understand how that’s possible for many teachers, especially with five years of experience or less. Many younger teachers are trying to pay off their student loans; thanks to the state budgets, those loans are also much larger because the cost of a college education at a North Carolina University has practically doubled over the last ten years. Many of these younger teachers are also single and do not have a spouse to share living expenses with. If I had not left the NC public schools last year, I would currently be facing my seventh year of teaching while still receiving a second year teacher’s salary; in the county where I taught, I never cleared $30,000 a year and based on the longevity of the salary freezes, I never would. During my last year of teaching, I ended up moving back in with my mother. She was an excellent roommate and I am so thankful that she agreed to live with me again (even though I am an eccentric monster who doesn’t know how to close a cabinet door or a drawer, and leaves wet towels on every surface I can find). Despite how wonderful parents may be, no professional five years into their career wants to be forced back into the nest. I certainly did not go to college and choose what I thought would be a financially stable career—not lucrative (I’m not stupid), but stable—in order to move back home the year after I received my career status teaching license. But after four years of salary freezes, a spike in the cost of practically everything from utilities to groceries to gas to co-pays (you know, all the luxuries I squandered my paycheck on) I was left in the red at the end of almost every month. Nothing screams professionalism like not being able to buy groceries.

North Carolina teachers are also unable to supplement their unprofessional salaries through other avenues as easily as they could in the past. Teachers are still able to get some supplements to their income through other avenues, but now the state has and is making those paths less traversable. North Carolina offers teachers the opportunity to apply for National Board Certification and receive a 12% salary increase. It is a very arduous and time consuming process and many teachers are not successful on their first attempt. Until 2 years ago, the state paid the $2,500 application fee for teachers on their first attempt. Now teachers have to pay the $2,500 fee in order to apply. I know very few teachers with $2,500 dollars in the bank. And because of  reports like this, which represent the thinking of many legislators across the state, I wonder if National Board Certification will continue to be a way for teachers to receive a raise. How many more budgets will National Board pay survive? A master’s degree is another avenue for NC teachers to receive a pay raise. However, there have been talks in the Senate about no longer allowing teachers to receive a raise if they obtain a master’s degree. An advanced degree in either education or a teacher’s subject area would make him or her more of an asset to the staff and more knowledgeable in the classroom. If the state eliminates the pay-raise teachers receive for their masters, fewer teachers will seek these advanced degrees. The pay-raise is oftentimes necessary to repay student loans incurred while obtaining a master’s degree. Having fewer teachers with advanced degrees will only hurt the schools and students in the long run. The state is making it harder and harder for North Carolina teachers to achieve any benefits—or at least semblance—of upward mobility within their career track, thus decreasing professionalism for teachers.

Probably the most obvious proof that NC teachers aren’t treated as professionals is the state legislators’ approach to professional development funds. Professional development is no longer a priority at the state level and the state has been eliminating it from the budget since 2009. As a result, and after many teachers complained about having to pay for their own professional development out-of-pocket, NC teachers are only required to complete 7.5 CEUs instead of the original 15. Without the state money, many counties have been forced into DYI, in-house professional development. Because of a lack of funding, NC teachers are attending less quality professional development, and they are only required to attend half as much. Does the state only expect teachers to be half as professionally developed as they were in the past? With fewer teachers being able to receive an advanced degree because of their financial situations, professional development has never been more important.

North Carolina teachers are also set-up for failure on a daily basis by their circumstances. I do not think that state legislators purposely and deliberately set teachers up for failure. I don’t imagine them sitting around the capital building practicing a menacing laugh while they rub their hands together, scheming. Since most legislators are not, never were, and never will be educators, I don’t think they realize what their budget cuts translate to on a daily basis for teachers. Here’s a word problem to demonstrate what I’m talking about:

Mrs. Smith has 32 students in her 10th grade English class. She has 30 English textbooks in her class set and 31 desks. How many of Mrs. Smith’s students will perform at or above grade level by the end of the 90 day 
semester?

I wish this scenario was an exaggeration. It’s not. It is the reality that many NC educators face on a daily basis: class sizes that exceed the capacity of the room and the book numbers that were ordered almost a decade ago.  Actually, this scenario doesn’t include many of the other variables that teachers face on a daily basis. Out of Mrs. Smith’s 32 students, I forgot to mention that six of them are reading below a 5th grade level and need Mrs. Smith to help them recover five grades of reading (because they just couldn’t be left behind).  And out of those 90 days, Mrs. Smith will eventually lose 5 of them to field testing, state tests, professional development, assemblies, and student services presentations. NC teachers are asked to do the nearly impossible on a daily basis and are then made to feel completely inadequate by students, parents, the media, jerks that tape classes and put them on youtube, and documentarians like David Guggenheim if they don’t succeed. If teachers were viewed as professionals, state legislators would ensure that everyone had at least the essential tools (like books and desks) to offer all of their students the same opportunities. If teacher’s were treated like professionals, they would have the power to request smaller class sizes, new textbooks, and time-worthy professional development without being seen as a nuisance, inflexible, whiney, and belligerent.

The effects of de-professionalizing teachers are not pretty. They are already widespread and damaging to the core of our education systems nationally because this isn’t just a problem in North Carolina. When teachers aren’t treated like professionals on a national or state level, this attitude eventually trickles down. Parents and students won’t view teachers as professionals and this creates the us vs. them militaristic relationship that exists in so many schools today. De-professionalizing teachers creates a sense of mistrust, and the parents and students see teachers as idiots or the bad guys. They are working against the parents and students instead of working with them. By de-professionalizing teachers, our society has ironically created a teacher-centered classroom. Teachers are the problem. Teachers are the solution. So what are the students? Teachers are so overwhelmed and exhausted, it’s hard for them to even see past their own difficult circumstances and focus on the act of teaching. (Just ask any of the classes I taught during my last year in North Carolina. I’m not proud, but many of them could tell you more about the budget cuts than they could dramatic irony. Because of my discontent, my classroom had become very teacher-centered). If we continue to de-professionalize this important profession, the relationship between teachers, students, and the act of teaching and learning will continue to deteriorate even more.


When we de-professionalize teachers too much, our students will no longer be taught by professionals. And then no one will wonder why schools in the United States are falling so far behind globally.

Comments