Skip to main content

If NC Teachers Treated Their Students the Same Way the State Treats its Educators...


It’s fortunate for every student in North Carolina that their public school teachers don’t treat them the way that the state and local governments are currently treating public educators. If I treated my students the way North Carolina public schools treated me, my classroom would look like this:

I would set my students up for failure. Every school day, teachers across the state are set up for failure by being placed in overcrowded classrooms without the proper materials. I taught classes of 32 even though I only had a class set of 30 books. I had one set of books for three separate classes which meant I could not assign any independent reading practice for homework because I needed the books for my other two classes. If I treated my students the way that the state treated me, I would give them a completely unreasonable assignment. I would ask my sophomores to independently read Chaucer’s Canterbury Tales in Middle English and then demand a comparative analysis essay discussing gender roles in three of the tales…within three days. If they made any effort to protest (let’s say on Mondays for example) I would suddenly forget the definition of the word constituent and dismiss them entirely. In fact, I would call them ungrateful and tell them that in this economy, they are lucky to even have a job—oops I mean an assignment.

No matter how well my students performed, I would offer them zero future incentive for their work. Teachers in North Carolina are given practically no opportunity of upward mobility in their careers. Notice I used the word careers and not jobs. Teachers have not been given a raise since 2008 and there seems to be no end in sight for the pay freeze. If I told my students at the beginning of the year that no matter what they did, they wouldn’t be promoted at the end of the semester, very few of them would turn in their best work. It would be like putting someone on a treadmill and telling them to run as fast as they can. Pretty soon they will figure out that they aren’t going anywhere and they will stop running. In fact, many people would just step off the treadmill altogether. It seems pointless to keep running when you obviously aren’t going anywhere. (Yes, I am aware of the weaknesses of this metaphor because many people run long distances for their health. But endurance sports are not for the faint of heart...and they also lead to exhaustion...and sometimes pants-pooping. And most teachers know that the students who will run for the sake of their health (learn for the sake of learning) are rare; wonderful, but rare. I probably have 4 or 5 of them a year). 

In addition to offering them no incentive, I would give my students a heavier workload each year while taking away some of their benefits. Maybe I would ask them to pay for the bus or raise the cost of a parking pass. Because of budget cuts and the loss of support staff, most teachers receive more responsibilities each school year without any extra pay to compensate them for their time. In fact, teachers lose revenue each year through the loss of health benefits and increasing premiums. If we take it back to the treadmill analogy, the state has been adding a little bit more of an incline each year. It makes it even harder to want to stick with it when the incline gets steeper and steeper with no rewards for the work you’ve already done. Teachers are forced to do more with less with no extra incentive. Just like on a treadmill, they are going nowhere. Eventually, they will hop off…or collapse from exhaustion.

Finally, I would make my students feel undervalued and unimportant. In fact, I would make them feel like I did not like them or support them in any way. When they were upset and wanted to voice their opinions, I wouldn’t really listen to their concerns. What do they know about being a student? They are just students after all. If someone gave me some money to put towards my classroom, I would take that money and give some of it to a private school. I would get rid of important programs that kept them from wanting to drop out. I would put them in classrooms with 30+ children and cut the budget to buy them new textbooks. I would talk about how important they are because it made me look really good, but then I wouldn’t fight for their rights when it was important. I would lower my standards until they were laughable and offensive just so it would look like my students were doing well on paper when really most of them were still reading on a middle school level or below. I would pass them along until they graduated without a trade, vocation, or future and then wash my hands of them completely. Then I would deny any responsibility when they were suddenly dependent on the same system that totally screwed them over in the first place. 

Oh wait...The state legislators are taking care of this last one on their own.

Save North Carolina public education. Save it now. Get on your phones. Write some e-mails. This is important. Do it today. And do it tomorrow. And the next day.

Click here for a list of NC House Representatives

Click here for a list of NC Senators

“Liberty cannot be preserved without a general knowledge among the people, who have a right…and a desire to know.” John Adams

“Whatever the cost of our libraries [and schools], the price is cheap compared to that of an ignorant nation.” Walter Cronkite

“When you know better, you do better.” Maya Angelou

“The educated differ from the uneducated as much as the living differ from the dead.” Aristotle

"It is all too obvious that our talk of ‘defending democracy’ is nonsense while it is a mere accident of birth that decides whether a gifted child shall or shall not get the education it deserves." George Orwell.

Comments

  1. VERY WELL SAID

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those folks in Raliegh don't care and won't listen. Its time to protect yourselves and do what they did: sacrifice the futures of countless children. NC is now the bottom of the barrel and Governor Pat McCrory IS the Anti education governor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very well said. I live with two school teachers and I know what they are faced with. Raleigh and Washington polititions walk into their offices and grabble in the money pot any time they feall like it while the people who are worth their pay are giggled at because they complain.
      I have much more to say about this system , but it gets ugly from here.

      Bill Beck
      Chelsea's Dad

      Delete
  3. It looks like time to revive the old "NC: First in Pavement, Last in Education" bumper stickers from the 1980s/90s. Anyone remember those?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well written though unfortunately no metaphor exists to properly address the Herculean tasks set before the average teacher in the state of North Carolina.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading. You're right. All metaphors break down eventually. The state is forcing educators into other careers or into educational martyrdom...which is really ineffective considering that once martyrs are dead, it's really hard to get them to teach a class of 30 students.

      Delete
  5. Very well written. I only wish the powers that be could "get it."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Been there. For years I had to hunt for desks because I had only 32 desks but had 36 kids. It continues to amaze me how out of touch our state politicians can be. I'd love them to each spend just one day with a teacher to get a glimpse of what they go through.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do spend time in classrooms (though rarely a full day). I see them come through our school on tours every year. However, the rooms they are ushered into are often staged to only show the best teachers with the best students and commonly in the best possible conditions in terms of equipment and technology. So in their eyes...all is right in the world of education! Stick them in a typical room on any given day with the regular teacher responsibilities and something might change...

      Delete
  7. You nailed it!I taught for almost 40 years before having to leave the classroom because of illness. Even if I were well, I couldn't be there today, not with all of the bull**** that is going on now. There is more assessing than teaching at the elementary level and it's done with no assistants in the classroom. I cry for the teachers who will return to classrooms with no class size limits. I remember doing my "student teaching" in 1971 in a first grade with 31 children and no assistant. It was impossible. The teacher and I worked as team teachers. This was before there were special education classes and we had 5 severely disabled children in the class. But, for thank God for Jim Hunt who really was the Education Governor in our state. Under his administrations, we gained kindergartens, assistants in grades 1-3, class size reductions, teacher pay raises, National Board Certified Teachers, Teaching Fellows, and so much more. I wish he had spoken out more during the decimation that has take place of our school system. Not many have been around as long as I have and have forgotten how far we had come, only to fall right back to to those times again. It breaks my heart for the children and for the teachers who will try to do the best they can with so little to do it with. I know where those funds will come from. It will come from the pockets of the already lowly paid teachers who are professional enough to want the best for their classrooms and the children in them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amen. NC should be ashamed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Here is another good read that the lawmakers should take to heart:

    http://makingourway.net/2013/07/25/letter-to-the-nc-general-assembly-i-can-no-longer-afford-to-teach/

    This is happening every day all over the state and it is a perspective that they seem to be ignoring or unaware of no matter how much teachers and groups like NCAE tries to bring it to their attention. NC is losing great teachers to other states or other careers because they cannot take care of their own personal needs to survive in the current climate. Things are only going to get uglier before they start to improve!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment